Monday, August 6, 2012

Nature Walk

8/4 - Several of us were sitting around the table chatting about different places I should see. I brought up the subject of the new nature preserve, Killamuck Bog, here in the area. In the old days the bog provided peat for the locals. The peat was used for fuel to heat and cooking.
Luck was with me. A neighbor of my cousin is very interested in the bog and was thinking of going out to walk one of the trails. He asked if I'd like to go along. Of course I agreed as long as it was one of the shorter treks.
So late the next morn, Mark and I set out. What a knowledgable young man. I learned about the plant life, endangered species, and the animal life. I saw several species of dragon flies, frogs, tracks of different animals. We stopped many times mainly to observe and a few to dodge the rain showers.
When we came to end of the trek, two and half hours had passed in a flash. Since the Manor Hotel was there waiting for, we popped in for bit of liquid refreshment.

No comments:

Post a Comment